Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Art Event Follow Up

The night of my Best-of-Show win at the RCAS art exhibit, I was asked to return in a few weeks for a presentation of my art to the community dignitaries and library staff, where the piece will be placed on permanent display.   So that event was held last week at the Richardson, Texas Civic Center offices.  I made a fun weekend out of it first, staying with a good friend and shopping quite a bit.  But, not to digress, the art event was the main reason I was there.  It turned out being a very quick presentation where I held the framed artwork, stood next to the Richardson mayor, Paul Voelker, and several others involved in the process.  Cameras flashed a few times, and we were done!  Once everyone arrived, it took exactly NINE minutes!



But it was a pleasure to conclude this honorable follow-up to the RCAS annual exhibit, a show where only artists residing in Texas are eligible.  I look forward to entering next year!

I've been asked several times to explain the meaning of the title, 'Exaggeration'.  I purposely used subtly contrasted paint values to include a shadow in the lower part of the art.  If the hand, wasps' nest, and wasp were to cast a shadow, sometimes those shapes are abstracted in unnatural ways.  In this case, I further changed it so that the wasp created the shadow of a fire-breathing dragon.


Here's a close-up:


When I have loose ends like this event, waiting to happen, I always find it hard to immerse myself in another project.  But now that this has concluded and can be checked off, I will settle back into the next item on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment